Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Wisconsin Union Protests

The protests over Scott Walker's "Budget Repair Bill" have been in the news for a few weeks now. As a member of a public sector union, I've been keeping a fairly close watch on events. (If I could go to Madison and protest I would, but currently that is not possible.) I'm very proud of the solidarity the unions have shown, especially the police and firefighters whose unions are not threatened at this time. I am also impressed by the dedication of the Democratic senators who have exiled themselves in order to stall the bill. Overall the support for the public workers of this state and around the country has been overwhelming.

However, there are a some things that have been bothering me about the news and comments I have heard. Consequently, I thought I would write a post about my perspective on what is going on. Keep in mind that what I say here is only how I see these events and others involved will have had a different perspective. Although, I will try to cite some articles that I have read to back up my opinions.

Many times I have heard the protests in Madison compared to thoes in Egypt and other places around the world. This is horribly wrong. While what we public employees are fighting for is important, it is nothing compared to the freedoms people are fighting for under oppressive regimes. Many people have been injured and killed for exercising rights that we are guranteed. Any comparision between the two only cheapens what the people overseas have done. However, that does not mean that we should not continue our fight. It is by acknowleging our rights and using them that we can honor those that are still fighting for those rights.

Most of the articles and comments I have read tend to talk about the protests as though the increases in insurance premiums and retirement contributions are the main issue. But, I think that for most people affected, myself included, this is about unions not being able to argue for better benefits once the budget problems are resolved. Many of those in my union will most likely not be graduate students by the time the state budget has been repaired. Consequently, those protesting on behalf of the M.G.A.A. are not so much fighting for themselves, but more for future graduate students and other unions.

That is not to say that we are not upset about alterations to our benefits, no one wants to pay more for insurance. But, we understand the problems this state is facing and that sacrifices must be made. That is why last December after months of negotiation, the M.G.A.A. had agreed to a contract with the state that froze our pay and increased what we contribute for our benefits. This contract was almost immediately rejected by the state legislature along with the contracts of several other unions(1). These were not consessions we made after our collective barganing rights were threatened.

Being characterized as greedy and unwilling to compromise is to be expected in a situation as politically charged at this one. However, most Republicans, including Gov. Scott Walker, have publicly announced that they will not compromise and have accused the senators who fled the state of not doing their jobs(2)(3). While I'll admit that leaving the state may not have been an appropriate reaction, the refusal to compromise with citizens of this state is definatley not the action of a democratically elected representative of the people. Especially, when some polls have shown that 56% of the people in this state favor collective bargaining(4).

Probably the biggest insult in all is that there is a report by the Legislative Fiscal Bureau indicating that larger cuts our benefits are only nessecary because of tax breaks to buisness implemented by Gov. Walker at the begining of his term(5)(6). It does not take a lot of common sense to see that such actions would do nothing for any budget problems this state faces. Not to mention the fact that it would be a handout to businesses at the expense of public employees.

I could go on about the negative effects of this bill as well as many other actions taken by our current government that I think were wrong. But, I think I've said enough aready to get my point of view across. This bill is not about balancing the budget; large consessions were already made by the unions before the many of our current elected officials entered office. This bill is political. The Republicans are trying to weaken groups that tend to support their opponents while implementing the same policies they always have without regard as to what this state needs.

Citations:
(1) http://www.shrm.org/LegalIssues/StateandLocalResources/Pages/WisDemocratsFailto.aspx

(2) http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/116982223.html

(3) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/us/26wisconsin.html?ref=us

(4)http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/02/24/poll-56-percent-of-wisconsinites-oppose-end-to-collective-bargaining-even-split-on-recall-attempts.aspx

(5) http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/wisconsin-gov-walker-ginned-up-budget-shortfall-to-undercut-worker-rights.php

(6)http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/LFBPublications_ButtonPages/Recent_Publications.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment